Pages

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Cows

This is a small, yearling black Dexter heifer. She was a bottle baby and is very cute. She is a 'for sure' addition to Willow Garden.
Above and below is a slightly larger cow that is part jersey. She is bred to a Dexter bull, but we're not sure when. She'll be vet checked to determine an approximate due date. The owner mentioned that she'd likely be butchered as 'no-one wants crossbred Dexters'. That did it for me ... she is likely a 'for sure' addition to Willow Garden.

Above is a stocky black three year old who has a red bull calf at her side. She would be re-bred to the red bull again ... and her son would become a resident of my freezer when he is older. I MAY get her as well ... or this one below ...
This heifer is two years old and will go in with a bull this week, so she'd be coming as a bred heifer. It would be nice to have both a red and a black Dexter.
And to think that this all started because I wanted my grand kids to see that cows can put their tongues up their noses ... :-)
Life ... is so very, very good!

5 comments:

Rayna said...

Ooo I REALLY like the red w/ the black markings...the second "for sure"...I think she should "for sure" be shipped down here to our farm if you don't get her ;-) lol You NEED her Bill!

Kate said...

How big are these cows??? They don't look so mini to me Grandpa!

Juliann said...

Lucky you, Bill! I'd love to have cattle, someday...
I expecially love the color on the cross, how eye catching!

Hopeful Farm said...

Make sure they are vaccinated for BVD: it can pass to your sheep. Look like nice healthy animals. Michele

Anonymous said...

Better get some really good fencing as cows will walk right over sheep fencing. Are you sure this isn't a little too much? Very, Very, very different from raising sheep!