Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Update

It has been a while since I last updated my blog with information about my life.

Gene was very ill with his cancer towards the end of April. I was called to sit with him one night as they didn't think that he'd make it through the night. He did, and rallied somewhat over the next two days.

He deparately wanted to go home and did NOT want to die in the hospital. So, I brought him, and his uncle home at the end of April.

Gene passed away at 2:10 AM on Monday, May 25th. His two sisters and I were with him, as they arrived on Saturday afternoon. He was comfortable, totally at peace and ready to move on.
There will be a service to celebrate his life at 2 PM on Saturday, May 30th. The address is included in the death notice. I will also include a link to a MapQuest map showing the location.

The Chapel has no hydro, running water, or washrooms. If you are driving from a distance, washrooms are located beside the Black River Cheese Factory, which is very close by.

Following the service, there will be a social time at one of Gene's favourite spots, the Duke of Marysburgh Pub.

This whole experience has been an emotional roller coaster ride ... which just seems to have ended far too quickly.

11 comments:

Juliann said...

Bill, I am sorry.
I offer my sincere condolences to you, Gene's family, and all who knew and loved him.

Cynthia said...

Your gentle and accepting manner in helping Gene end his time here was an extraordinarily unflinching gift; to everyone, not the least of all yourself. I would imagine that in time you will look back on this goodbye as a deeply complete one. I send you big hugs and the warmest wishes for a graceful return to a routine life.

Angela Rountree said...

I am very sorry for your loss. You, and Gene's family, are in my prayers.

Becky Utecht said...

Bill, I know it's not easy to do what you did. You should be so proud of yourself for giving Gene a peaceful death in a place where he was comfortable. Bless you and all the best as you move through the grief process. Here's to remembering Gene through his wonderful artwork!

Franna said...

Condolences from me, Bill. You are such a good friend to have Gene and his uncle with you at the end. What a fantastic gift.

HUGS from Franna

Nancy K. said...

I think your dog would be proud of you.


(reference to the sign-off line you used to use)

You are a wonderful man. So was Gene. Sending big hugs.

Tammy W. said...

Bill - we are so sorry to hear of Gene's passing. He was a sweet and gentle man, and we will miss him a great deal. I offer my condolences to you and Gene's family at this time.

Karen Valley said...

The one time I met Gene he was curled up with a good book at Stephen's whilst the rest of us were deep in the throes of a major Shetland experience. As I recall he contemplated running away with Bill to an exotic location to vacation while we all wrangled sheep.

I am sorry such an obviously intellectually superior individual is no longer among us to keep us grounded. I hope everyone has a beautiful time remembering the good times with him on this plane. I am sorry for your loss.

Carol B. said...

I am so sorry for your loss of this friend and companion whom I know you have cared about for many years. I am glad Gene was able to die in your home with people who cared about him nearby and not in the hospital. I am glad he was ready to go. Even when a death is expected due to a terminal illness, its coming always feels sudden and unexpected. I hope you are surrounded by friends who can share good memories of Gene with you. My prayers are with you.

andrea said...

I'm sorry to your read of your loss.. Gene was so obviously important to you

I hope the memorial was full of laughter and tears
and you have lots of happy memories to cherish

hang in there

John McKay said...

Bill,

Read this today. I heard via Lynn that Gene was sick but didn't realize it was so serious. I'm sorry to hear it Bill.

Thinking of you.

John McKay