Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sylvia ... I'll miss you ... a lot

Great Plains Sylvia was born in 1999 ... in South Dakota. She was a Greyling daughter . She was registered as 'Fawn', and even though she was Ag, she truly was 'fawn'. Many/most of her lambs were modified colours.

In her life-time, she moved from South Dakota to Alberta, Canada for a while. She eventually settled here in Ontario, in 2005. Lots of change for any sheep, but she always settled in well.

Today she left me. Likely it was old age. But more likely it was something more. In her last days she had 'pinkness' in her urine. She had been slow for a few days ... then had trouble getting up and was moved into the feed room ... then couldn't stand. Throughout it all, she ate well ... drank lots of fluids ... chewed her cud ... baaaad at me every time she saw me ... enjoyed Bob and Doug sitting with her under the heat lamp ... and made me smile with her Sylvia-ness.

On my third sheep check today, for night feeding, she had slipped away. Interestingly, both of her daughters that I have retained in my flock were within a few feet of the feed room waiting for me. I know that they knew what had happened and wanted to be there with me. Some of my other older girls were there as well.

Sylvia will be missed. But ... she was loved and she knew it. She was loved by this shepherd ... and by Carol, who was her first shepherd.

Thank you Sylvia. I'll miss you.


6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad she was comfortable and eating to the end . . . and that she was so appreciated. Can't hope for a better end than that, I guess. What a lovely lady.

Kim Nikolai said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It's so sad to see them go.

I have a 98' Holly daughter I've been watching. So far so good except that she is thinner than I would like. She could use some extra to help keep her warm with the temps we've had. I've got her bedded down nice and thick.

Becky Utecht said...

What a lovely post Bill. Sylvia was a lucky sheep. It sounds like she didn't suffer much at the end. I owned a musket 1998 Greyling daughter, but I sold her as a fiber pet. Last I heard, she's still going strong.

Franna said...

Sweet dreams, Sylvia.

Thanks, Bill, for the reminder to watch our older girls more closely. I have a '99 Puddleduck moorit ewe who doesn't compete well with the big pigs-in-sheeps clothing. With the ewe lambs she does well. I'll give her a little treat from Sylvia tonight.

- Franna

Juliann said...

My condolances on the loss of a grand old dame.

Hopeful Farm said...

Dear Bill, Sorry about your ewe. it is never easy to lose one but at least she had a good life. Michele